Update: Laptop ban lifted off Turkish Airlines

By Shayan Shakeel 5 July 2017
Update: Laptop ban lifted off Turkish Airlines

Update: Turkish Airlines has confirmed that the electronic ban concerning electronic devices that was implemented on US arrival flights since March 25, 2017 has ended Wednesday, July 5, 2017.

This morning, Turkish Airlines passengers travelling to New York John F. Kennedy International Airport from İstanbul Atatürk Airport carried their electronic devices on the 6:45 am flight number TK-3. 

Over 102 days, Turkish Airlines collected 81,736 electronic devices from passengers on 1,087 flights to the US, according to chairman M. İlker Aycı. “75 per cent of devices were laptops and tablets while 25 per cent of devices consisted of  cameras, GPS devices and kindles. I would like to express my  gratitude to all my colleagues who carried out this operation with a sense of mission  and sensibility,” he added in a statement.

 

Turkish Airlines' CEO has said the US laptop ban will be lifted on July 5.

Bilal Eksi made the statement via his personal Twitter account today. No further details were provided.

The ban on personal electronic devices larger than smartphones was imposed by the US on flights from 10 airports in the Middle East including Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Ankara.

On Sunday Etihad Airways announced flights out of Abu Dhabi would be exempted from the ban.

The statement prompted speculation more airports would be removed from the list of airports named by the US Department of Homeland security in March.

The DHS announced last week it would drop plans to extend the laptop ban if airports agreed to abide by more stringent security recommendations. It is time that we raise the global baseline of aviation security,” US Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly said in a speech. "We cannot play international whack-a-mole with each new threat.”

Comments

  • Email